Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crockpot Challenge: Day 4

Introducing Chicken Tortilla Soup (I just said that, out loud, in my best Gloria accent)

Then I said, in my best Gloria accent, "don't you give me and old tomato!"

And, FYI, this is where the magic happens:)




Sorry, sidetracked.

Today's recipe comes from my sister-in-law Melissa. Hey Melissa! She emailed me two recipes this week and one of them had me salivating and I actually had the ingredients in my pantry so...

You will need:

4 frozen chicken breasts (or thawed, whatever)
2 cans black beans, undrained (15 oz)
- I actually just realized this says 15 oz. I wonder what size I used?
2 cans stewed tomatoes - Mexican style (15 oz)
- Dang! Strike 2. I just realized mine are normal. No super angry mexican tomatoes here... hehe:)
1 cup salsa (I used Sprouts brand because it is pure deliciousness and it doesn't have any sugar...not that that even matters since I'm sure everything else does..)
And I used it because it was in the fridge.
1 can chopped green chilies/chiles? (4 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (14 oz)

(next time I make this soup I am going to put the stewed tomatoes in the blender for a few seconds... I think the kids will be more willing to try it without those big ole nasty tomato chunks in there)



Mix it all together in the "beast" as my friend Kim so recently called it (love it!) and cook on low all day. When the chicken is done, shred it with a fork and serve over tortilla chips. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream and green onions (optional as far as I'm concerned because I don't have any)(any green onions, that is). Freeze the leftovers! 3 of my favorite words:)



I had to include that last picture because it didn't feel right to leave it out...

So, here is what it looks like before you put the lid on. I didn't take a picture during the day because I actually didn't touch it all day. Score!



I'm not going to lie, when I took the lid off this evening I was a little worried. To be completely honest, this stuff looked nasty! I was especially concerned because while picking up my oldest from school, I invited another mother and her son over for dinner. You know the drill, "why don't you guys just come on over, we'll let the kids play... I have dinner in the crockpot so it's no big deal at all... I'll chill some wine", etc. etc. Then I took the lid off to shred the chicken breasts and my first thought was crap! I invited people over for a meal I've never even tried. But....



This soup? In a word? Tasty! It is like a little fiesta in your mouth. When I stopped myself to take a picture, my friend Nicole thought I was nuts! I told her what I was doing and she stuck her bowl alongside mine - you know - like a true girlfriend:)

We both ate every. last. bite.

And then I made cookies.

Because I'm a good friend.

Adios!

2 comments:

Missy said...

You totally have me hooked! I want to do this crock pot deal too. The 30 days I mean! It sounds so easy (the no dishes at night thing) and I love coming home to a good smelling house.

Deana said...

I agree with Missy! I need to vow to do this for 30 days. I think Ron would love that I "cooked" every night for 30 days. And I would love how easy it is...or sounds like it is!