Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crockpot Challenge: Day 3

I had no idea that my fun little crockpot challenge would be, well, so much fun. I have gotten a few facebook messages with different recipes to try and they sound really good! So, if you have a recipe you think I would like or just want to be featured on my blog for my three faithful readers, send me a message to meredithtemplin(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thanks:)

Today's recipe, CrockPot Bacon and Cheese Chicken, is courtesy of this blog. I thought it would go nicely with our leftover Baked Potato Soup from last night.

Here's what you need:



2T Olive Oil (if you are using lean cut; if you are using fatty pieces - omit this)
6 Chicken Breasts (I used a 1 pound package of tenderloins - not frozen) but frozen works too!
12 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled (I probably ended up using 6 pieces, maybe 7)
*don't get me wrong, I cooked 12 but dang you bacon you are so delicious!
1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
1/2 c. ranch dressing
1 c. cheese

Line your crockpot, or don't it is really up to you. Drizzle the olive oil around the bottom. Place the raw chicken on the bottom. After mixing the ranch and teriyaki together, (go ahead, taste it, different but good right?) pour it over the chicken and then use a spoon to get it in between the chicken pieces. Finally, put the cheese and crumbled up bacon on top. Turn on low, pop the lid, and walk away!



I decided to cook mine on low for 7 hours. You can cook on high for 3 - 4 hours if you please...

On a little bit of a side note, I have decided this is the kind of cooking for me. I turned on my iPod this morning, put on my apron, sang my heart out into a cooking utensil and cooked up the bacon to perfection. Perfection people. How many of you can say that you have done this with your family in the house at dinner time? Exactly! This morning, there was no pressure. (and by pressure I mean a child or two harassing the other or each other, or an emergent I can't really get my pants buttoned and I need you to do it right now episode; seriously, at least once a week I get side-tracked, burn something, and John inevitably walks into a smoke-filled house, smiles, and says "I see mommy is cooking dinner.") Anywho, I cooked the bacon, and while it was cooling off, I washed the pan. The past two nights have made me realize that I enjoy dinner with my family more because there is less mess to clean up afterward. I wash a lot of the prep dishes early in the day (and by wash I mean rinse and put in the dishwasher) and after dinner, the only things to load in the dishwasher are the dishes we actually used.

Back to the actual food: the chicken looked different than I thought it would, rather ugly actually, but it tasted really good so go figure...

I served it up with the potatoes from last night - they aren't very soup-y today and some carrots.



But let's be honest, the carrots on my plate were, well, for effect I guess because you know I didn't eat them:)

*I love carrots. I just wanted comfort food tonight...



The end.

4 comments:

Crazy Family said...

I started this post at 9:28am so that's when it says it posted. These blogs are "real time" though... I post them the same day I make the food. Not that anyone cares really:)

We 2 Bees said...

You crack me up! I love your pictures and that you finding joy in this! And your crock pot liners are the only way to go because cleaning the beast is a chore every night without them! I love the boys' plates that separate the food, where'd you get those?

Crazy Family said...

Haha, the beast:) I got those plates in the Target dollar bin a while back.

Missy said...

What if you were to 'dice' or 'piece' the chicken before putting it in? I'm all about my chicken cut up and ready to eat when it is done cooking. I'm wierd about my meat. I really don't eat much meat so anything I can do to make myself eat more of it, I will do.