Sunday, November 13, 2011

Crockpot Challenge: Day 1

So, I decided to attempt to use my crock pot every day for the next 30 days. We'll see how long that lasts. I do, however, have the ingredients to use it for the next 7 so let's start there shall we?

I love my crock pot. Love. But the truth is I have gotten in a rut and cook the same things over and over and over. If I decide to use it for 30 days then I will have to put some effort into it and find something worth cooking (and blogging about) so that no one gets bored. Right? Right?!?!

So JT and I got on the trusty ole interweb and found some recipes here and there. I thought it would be good handwriting practice for the kid so I had him make the list for the store and off we went.



On a side note, when we were leaving the store there was a table for Veteran Appreciation with men in uniform. JT stopped in front of the table, recognizing who they were, and saluted them. And then he said thank you. And then I may have teared up and dang near lost it right there. He wrote a short note of appreciation to the soldiers who serve our great country and I was one proud momma.



So, for the day one recipe. I decided on Beef Fajitas because I really love Mexican food and, well, that's the only reason I suppose:) You will need the following:

beef stew meat - I used one pound
1/2 cup of water
1 package fajita seasoning
1 small onion sliced
2 bell peppers - I used a green one and an orange one (pretty huh?)




Mix it all together in the ole crocker and let cook on low for around 7 or 8 hours.

I thought they tasted fantastic. We had ours on flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, fresh squeezed lime over the meat and avacados. Oh, and salsa. Can't forget that little gem. Everyone ate until they were full and no one asked for a snack after dinner so I'm calling it a success. And I didn't have any leftovers... good and bad I suppose!

And I definitely used the cancer-ridden plastic crock pot bags because I can't cook in the old girl for 30 days and have to scrub her every night now can I?

Whatcha think? Any suggestions?

5 comments:

brandy said...

Love, LOVE, LOVE the story about JT. And, the meal looks super easy and super good! I think I am going to try it! Maybe it will make it to my blog, too. Although, like you, I need lots of encouragement (and time) to blog! Oh, I know, maybe we should have a crockpot potluck!

We 2 Bees said...

Looks super yummy! And so sweet the story about JT! You are a gem and I can't wait to see what all you will cook up in your crock pot!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

we do fajitas in our crock but use roast when on sale and cook all day, we marinate it in fajita seasoning all night the night before and then put more in when put in crock!

Crazy Family said...

That's a great idea to let it marinate overnight... but that also takes planning:) It might be a bit over my head right now but definitely a goal to set. Thanks for the idea!!! And I wouldn't have thought to use a roast either... maybe I do need to blog about everything I cook and then I will get even better ideas from my readers. (all 3 of them;)) My husband will thank you:)

Deana said...

Well, I LOVE how sweet your little boys sounds like he is :) And I didn't know they made crock pot bags!!!! That is awesome because I don't really DO dishes...LOL!! I will be trying your fajitas soon!