Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day

As sad as it is, I know that I will never celebrate another Father's Day with my dad on this side of heaven. He's been gone now for almost 14 years and it makes me sad when I realize I've been without him almost as long as I was with him. Does that make sense? I'm sad that my children will never get to go hunting or fishing with him and they'll never see what a wonderful man and father he was to me. I hate that they won't get to experience my love for him firsthand and maybe look forward to their own daughter's respect and admiration one day. I hope that John and I show our children the unconditional love that my parents showed me each and every day. I hope that they see our Heavenly Father through John just as I saw Him through my dad.

Although I don't get to celebrate Father's Day with the man who raised me, I do get to help my children celebrate their father. This year the boys made a present for John at school before it let out and we saved them until this past Sunday. We also planned a fishing trip for him and my brother-in-law so they can have some "man time" next month. Of course, it wouldn't be a true celebration without one of the kiddos spoiling the surprise. I won't go into detail but it started with "mom, you forgot to tell dad...." and ended with John grinning from ear to ear that he knew what his present was a day early:)We spent the day together as a family and enjoyed yummy food and even some ice cream for dessert.

All in all it was a great weekend and I am so thankful for my husband in so many ways. I feel a little guilty that it takes a manmade holiday for me to reflect on those things. I recently read a quote by an author that I love (Ann Vonskamp) and it sums up my thoughts about John perfectly.

"The only man you want to give your life to is the one who makes you hunger for Christ, believe in grace, experience the other-world love of God."

Thank you John Templin for being such a wonderful man, husband and father. We love you so much!

No comments: