Monday, June 13, 2011

Oh Sweet Moses!



So last night I was mean to my kids.... like, yelling at my kids. And today I feel kinda bad. Don't get me wrong; they were acting like crazy kids - hitting each other and being ugly to the dog and disobeying me. The final straw was when they started screaming at each other in the bath tub and I screamed right back at them about not screaming and put them straight to bed. Mother of the year. I have been feeling convicted ever since. I started praying about my anger and proceeded to read my Bible and, honest to goodness, came across this passage. It is when Moses obviously had a hard time saying no to people demanding his time and his father-in-law tells him that what he is doing is no bueno. Here's the kicker:

"Listen now to me and I will give you some advice, and may God be with you. You must be the people's representative before God and bring their disputes to him. Teach them his decrees and instructions, and show them the way they are to live and how they are to behave."

So, you know, actually show them (action) instead of screaming (just loud words).

If you read the whole story you learn that he also tells Moses to delegate so that only the big things are brought to him and the officials he chooses (men who fear the Lord mind you)take care of the small things. I haven't figured out how to apply that to my kids just yet, but you get where I'm going right?

So today, I am going to try to spend more time talking with my children instead of screaming at them and thank God that he covers me with so much more grace than I deserve.

"...show them the way they are to live and how they are to behave." Exodus 18:19-20.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I love this Meredith! We've been looking at this chapter for the last three weeks in church and I didn't even think of it in that way, applying it to parenting that is. Thank you for the eye opener! And you are doing a great job with your two adorable boys!